Benefits of Meditation
Meditation has been practiced for hundreds of years across a range of cultures and religions, and for good reason! The benefits of meditation include:
- Lowering stress levels
- Improving focus
- Decreasing pain
- Reducing anxiety
- Improving sleep
- Reducing depression
- Enhancing perception
The list goes on and on!
Different Types of Meditation
- Mindfulness – Pay attention to your thoughts as they pass though your mind, but don’t judge or interact with them
- Spiritual – Seek a deeper connection with God or the Universe, sometimes uses essential oils
- Focused – Concentrating on one of the five senses e.g. listening to music or staring at a candle flame and stopping your mind from wandering
- Movement – Yoga, walking in nature, gardening etc
- Mantra – Uses a repetitive sound to clear the mind: a word, phrase or sound
- Transcendental – Using a silent mantra for 15-20 minutes twice per day, one of the most widely practiced
- Progressive relaxation – Aimed at reducing tension and promoting relaxation
- Loving-kindness – Used to strengthen feelings of compassion and kindness towards yourself and to others
- Visualisation – Visualising positive scenes in your mind, using all five senses
How to Meditate
With all these different types of meditation, it might be hard to decide what type of meditation you want to try, and what type of meditation would work for you. If you want to get started with meditation, I think the following message is an easy way to get started, but try different things, and see what works for you!
Guided Meditation Resources
If you find the idea of just sitting alone with your thoughts quite daunting, you could always try a guided meditation. So check out these resources for guided meditation.
- 9 Types of Meditation: Which One Is Right for You? (healthline.com)
- How to Meditate – Mindful
- The 6 Best Guided Meditations of 2021 (verywellmind.com)
Want to become a more productive student? Want to work on your personal development? Want to learn about how to get into medical school?
If you said YES to any of the above, then stick around because you’re in the right place!
Whether you’re a current or aspiring student, I share tips and tricks that are going to help you out.